Project Quilted Mug Rugs
Skill Level: Beginner
Skill Level: Beginner
Mug rugs are coasters that add a special touch to your home or office while protecting your furniture. Blend colors or use solids to match your décor while using the Baby Lock Presto Sewing and Quilting machine. Click here to download instructions.
To make four mug rugs, cut the following:
• Cut 16 assorted 2 ½” squares from the Jelly Roll fabric.
• Cut eight 2 ½” x 1 ½” from the Jelly Roll fabric, for the short sashing sections.
• Cut eight 5 ½” x 1 ½” from the Jelly Roll fabric for the long sashing sections.
• For the binding, use two Jelly Roll sections. • From the backing cut four sections 2” larger around than the mug rugs section.
Turn on the machine as set up the machine by following the next set of steps:
• Select the center needle straight stitch position stitch. • Wind the bobbin. • Thread the machine with the Madeira Cotona Cotton thread. • Attach the “J” foot.
With right sides together place the 2 ½” x 1 ½” sashing section on top of the 2 ½” square section.
Place the edge of the two sections under the presser foot with the right side of the presser foot even with the raw edge of the unit. Sew the two sections together.
Press the seam toward the sashing section.
Place another 2 ½” square on the opposite side of the sashing section. Sew the sections together. Create eight units.
To create one completed section of four units follow the next set of steps:
Place the long sashing section to the long side of one of the two part section and sew together while placing the right edge of the foot along the raw edge of the unit. Press the seam allowance towards the center.
Sew together another two piece unit to the opposite side of the sashing. Press toward the sashing. Trim as needed. Create four units.
Create a sandwich with the backing, batting and pieced unit.
Quilt the layers together by sewing rows of stitching on the front side of the mug rugs.
Trim the unit as needed.
To bind the Mug rugs, follow the next set of steps:
• On the binding strips, cut them down to 2 ¼” wide. • Fold the strip in half and press. • To create a 45˚ angle fold on one of the ends in. Press. • Place the binding on the back side of the rug mug . Pin in place. • Place the unit under the presser foot with the raw edge is even with the right side of the presser foot. Start to sew approximately 1” from the turned down section on the binding. Stop sewing and cut the thread when you get ¼” from the corner. • Take the binding strip and fold the strip up and away from the mug rug to creating a 45˚ angle. • Fold the strip down while aligning the raw edges on the binding with the raw edge on the mug rug. • Sew this side of the mug rug. When you get to the next corner stop ¼” from the corner and follow the same directions as above to create the 45˚ corner. Continue in this manner until you have turned the last corner. • Trim the end of the binding so that it fits inside the starting point of the binding. • Tuck the ending point of the binding inside the starting point on the binding and pin in place. • Finish by sewing the last side of the binding in place. • Press the binding to the front of the mug rug. • Pin the binding to the font side of the mug rug forming a nice 45˚ corners. • Topstitch close to the binding edge to secure.